#RIP: we are deeply saddened to report the passing of actor Chadwick Boseman at the age of 42. He played T’Challa / Black Panther in “#CaptainAmerica: #CivilWar”, #BlackPanther, “#Avengers: #InfinityWar”, “Avengers: #Endgame”; Thoth in #GodsOfEgypt; Cameron James in #Fringe; & more.
We offer our sincerest condolences to his family, friends and fans. May he rest in peace.
Chadwick Boseman (1977-2020)
The first teaser trailer for #Morbius, a #Sony movie, has been released. The character Morbius was created by #MarvelComics in the early 1970’s with a blend of #SciFi and horror.
After a brief break up, #SonyPictures and #Marvel have found a way to get back in the #SpiderMan business together and keep him in the #MCU. On Friday, the two companies jointly announced that #MarvelStudios and its president, Kevin Feige, will produce the 3rd film in the “Spider-Man: #Homecoming” series and that it will once again feature Tom Holland reprising his role as the titular hero.
The rumor mill had roared back to life this week with hints that the two companies were close to brokering a new agreement, which was signed late on Thursday night.
The negotiations included top players from both studios, including Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman, Feige and #WaltDisneyStudios co-chairs Alan Horn and Alan Bergman. In exchange for lending Feige’s producing prowess, Marvel and #Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in one future Marvel Studios film.
The next MCU Spider-Man film is slated to be released on July 16, 2021.
In a statement, Feige said,
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it. Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”
To seemingly not much fanfare on social media yesterday or today, #Disney announced that there will be 3 new #StarWars films to be released in 2022, 2024 & 2026. In the same announcement, Disney also said that the #Avatar film sequels are being pushed back 1 or more years each, as follows:
- “Avatar 2”: from Dec. 18, 2020 to Dec. 17, 2021
- “Avatar 3”: from Dec. 17, 2021 to Dec. 22, 2023
- “Avatar 4”: from Dec. 20, 2024 to Dec. 19, 2025
- “Avatar 5”: Dec. 17, 2027
The reasoning for this move was to alternate between “Star Wars” sequels and “Avatar” sequels in the months of December to avoid having the franchises compete for box office receipts at the same time.
The resulting combined schedule for the two franchises is as follows:
- “Avatar 2”: Dec. 17, 2021
- “Star Wars (10?)”: Dec. 16, 2022
- “Avatar 3”: Dec. 22, 2023
- “Star Wars (11?)”: Dec. 20, 2024
- “Avatar 4”: Dec. 19, 2025
- “Star Wars (12?)”: Dec. 18, 2026
- “Avatar 5”: Dec. 17, 2027
Disney’s announcement also included the rescheduling of large number of other films, including a number of films that Disney acquired with its purchase of Fox. Some of these films now no longer have scheduled release dates.
- “The New Mutants” (Fox): from Aug. 2, 2019 to April 3, 2020
- “Artemis Fowl” (Dis): from Aug. 9, 2019 to May 29, 2020
- “Cruella” (Dis, previously “Untitled Disney Live Action”): Dec. 23, 2020
- “Nimona” (Fox): from Feb. 14, 2020 to Mar. 5, 2021
- “Gambit” (Fox): from Mar. 13, 2020 to removed from schedule.
- “Untitled Fox Marvel” (Fox): from June 26, 2020 to removed from schedule.
- “Untitled Fox Marvel” (Fox): from Oct. 2, 2020 to removed from schedule.
- “Untitled Fox Marvel” (Fox): from Mar. 5, 2021 to removed from schedule.
“#Avengers: #Endgame” has earned another $282 million overseas this weekend, meaning that the #MCU (Marvel Comics) epic crossed the $2-billion mark on Saturday. The film also crossed the box office earnings of “Avengers: #InfinityWar” ($2.048 billion) and “#StarWars VII: #TheForceAwakens” ($2.068 billion).
The film’s current overseas box office earnings of $1.569 billion is above both “Avengers: Infinity War” ($1.37 billion) and “Titanic” ($1.528 billion, counting the reissues) as the second-biggest overseas earner of all time. While it is still $458.5 million below the box office earnings of “#Avatar” ($2.0275 billion overseas), it has passed the $2.189 billion global gross of “Titanic” to become the second-biggest movie of all time.
#Disney & #MarvelComics did extremely well for the opening weekend of “#Avengers: #Endgame” with a record-breaking $1.2-billion earned worldwide! Broken down, domestically the movie earned $350-million and internationally $859-million, both of which also shattered previous box-office records!
Endgame’s $350-million domestic opening weekend is nearly $93 million larger than the previous record set by Avengers: Infinity War ($257.69 million) that was set just last year and a whopping 90% of the overall weekend market share.
Here are part of the records that Endgame has broken. Most of the previous records were held primarily either by “Avengers: Infinity War” or “Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens”:
Fan reactions to Endgame are also extremely good. On IMDb.com, Endgame is rated at 9.1 out of 10 stars. On Rottentomatoes, the movie has an audience score of 92% and a meteoritic score of 96%.
Here’s the newest trailer for “#Avengers: #Endgame”. The movie opens on April 26, 2019.
The 2018 #Oscar nominees have been announced and eight #SciFi & #Fantasy films have been nominated in multiple categories, including for “Best Picture”!
The eight sci-fi & fantasy films that have received at least one nomination are as follows:
- “#Solo: A #StarWars Story”
- “#SpiderMan: Into the Spider-Verse”
Award Categories Breakdown
For Best Animated Film:
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
For Costume Design:
- Black Panther (Ruth Carter)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
For Music (Original Score):
- Black Panther (Ludwig Goransso)
- Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)
For Music (Original Song):
- “All the Stars” from Black Panther
- “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from Mary Poppins Returns
For Best Picture:
For Production Design:
- Black Panther (Production Design: Hannah Beachler; Set Decoration: Jay Hart)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Production Design: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim)
For Sound Mixing:
- Black Panther (Steve Boeddeker, Brandon Proctor and Peter Devlin)
For Visual Effects:
- Avengers: Infinity War (Dan DeLeeuw, Kelly Port, Russell Earl and Dan Sudick)
- Christopher Robin (Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould)
- Ready Player One (Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and David Shirk)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy)
Total Number of Nominations for Each Film
Here’s how many nominations each sci-fi & fantasy film received:
- Black Panther: 6
- Mary Poppins Returns: 4
- Avengers: Infinity War: 1
- Christopher Robin: 1
- Isle of Dogs: 1
- Ready Player One: 1
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: 1
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 1
#ComicBooks legend George Pérez has announced his retirement from comics. In a letter published on Facebook, the artist wrote,
“While I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have [sic] forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.”
Pérez went on to to announce he will no longer be completing commissions, and that 2019 will be his final year making a full slate of convention appearances. He currently plans to continue to attend DragonCon and FetishCon annually.
Pérez closed his letter with the following:
“I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.”
Pérez’ extensive works during his long career include the following:
- The Avengers
- Fantastic Four
- The Inhumans
- The Infinity Gauntlet
- Sachs and Violens
- Hulk: Future Imperfect
- The New Teen Titans
- Nightwing (co-creator)
- Justice League of America
- Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Wonder Woman (relaunched series and introduced the Greek mythology into the character for the first time)
- The New Titans
- War of the Gods
- Silver Surfer
- Justice Society of America
- The Brave and the Bold
- Infinite Crisis
- Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
- Green Arrow
- World’s Finest
For #GorillaComics, #EventComics & #CrossGen:
- Crimson Plague (creator)
- CrossGen Chronicles
We wish George Pérez a wonderful retirement and thank him for all of his contributions to comic books, science fiction & fantasy!
A new trailer for “#Avengers 4 #Endgame” has been released!