After months of speculation, actor Ben Affleck is will not be doing any more roles as Bruce Wayne / #Batman. According to a new announcement made this week from “Deadline Hollywood’s Twitter account, ‘The Batman’ is going to premiere in Summer of 2021 with a brand new actor in the role of Batman. And to confirm the story, Ben Affleck himself retweeted the story:
The 2018 #Oscar nominees have been announced and eight #SciFi & #Fantasy films have been nominated in multiple categories, including for “Best Picture”!
The eight sci-fi & fantasy films that have received at least one nomination are as follows:
- “#Solo: A #StarWars Story”
- “#SpiderMan: Into the Spider-Verse”
Award Categories Breakdown
For Best Animated Film:
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
For Costume Design:
- Black Panther (Ruth Carter)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
For Music (Original Score):
- Black Panther (Ludwig Goransso)
- Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)
For Music (Original Song):
- “All the Stars” from Black Panther
- “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from Mary Poppins Returns
For Best Picture:
For Production Design:
- Black Panther (Production Design: Hannah Beachler; Set Decoration: Jay Hart)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Production Design: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim)
For Sound Mixing:
- Black Panther (Steve Boeddeker, Brandon Proctor and Peter Devlin)
For Visual Effects:
- Avengers: Infinity War (Dan DeLeeuw, Kelly Port, Russell Earl and Dan Sudick)
- Christopher Robin (Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould)
- Ready Player One (Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and David Shirk)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy)
Total Number of Nominations for Each Film
Here’s how many nominations each sci-fi & fantasy film received:
- Black Panther: 6
- Mary Poppins Returns: 4
- Avengers: Infinity War: 1
- Christopher Robin: 1
- Isle of Dogs: 1
- Ready Player One: 1
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: 1
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 1
#ComicBooks legend George Pérez has announced his retirement from comics. In a letter published on Facebook, the artist wrote,
“While I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have [sic] forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.”
Pérez went on to to announce he will no longer be completing commissions, and that 2019 will be his final year making a full slate of convention appearances. He currently plans to continue to attend DragonCon and FetishCon annually.
Pérez closed his letter with the following:
“I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.”
Pérez’ extensive works during his long career include the following:
- The Avengers
- Fantastic Four
- The Inhumans
- The Infinity Gauntlet
- Sachs and Violens
- Hulk: Future Imperfect
- The New Teen Titans
- Nightwing (co-creator)
- Justice League of America
- Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Wonder Woman (relaunched series and introduced the Greek mythology into the character for the first time)
- The New Titans
- War of the Gods
- Silver Surfer
- Justice Society of America
- The Brave and the Bold
- Infinite Crisis
- Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
- Green Arrow
- World’s Finest
For #GorillaComics, #EventComics & #CrossGen:
- Crimson Plague (creator)
- CrossGen Chronicles
We wish George Pérez a wonderful retirement and thank him for all of his contributions to comic books, science fiction & fantasy!
#ToxicFans have struck again. But, this time, it has nothing to do with #StarWars. This time, it’s toxic fans of the #DCComics-based film #Aquaman. The recipient of the toxic fans’ online anger (which includes death threats to herself and to her family) is a professional film critic. Her crime in the eyes of the toxic fans? She dared to write a negative review for “Aquaman”.
The recipient of the toxic fans online outrage and harassment is film critic Mara Reinstein. She is a contributor to the publication “US Weekly”, she’s a “Top Critic” on the website #RottenTomatoes, and she operates her own website. Toxic fans have not only harassed her on those sites, they tracked her down to her personal social media accounts and began to attack her there as well: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Not everyone who sees a film is going to like it and when it comes to film critics, critiquing films and publicizing their opinions is their job. Harassment and death threats are never okay.
#RIP: actress Margot Kidder has died at age 69. She played Lois Lane in #Superman and appeared in #EarthFinalConflict, #Smallville & much more.
Our condolences to her family, friends & fans. May she rest in peace.
#RIP: comic book author Len Wein has died at the age of 69. He co-created D.C.’s #SwampThing & #Marvel’s #Wolverine; helped revive the #XMen & edited the #Watchmen. Our condolences to his family, friends & fans. May he rest in peace.
Len Wein (1948-2017)
A new trailer for #JusticeLeague has been released!